Bond Funds and ETFs
By Thomas Kenny
Bond Fund Basics
For most individual investors, mutual funds are the best way to invest in bonds. Mututal funds provide the benefit of both professional management and a high level of diversification with a single investment – both of which would be very difficult for an individual to achieve on his or her own. However, the decision to invest via bond mutual funds is just the beginning of the process. Learn more about investing in bond funds.
- Individual Bonds vs. Bond Funds
- The Risk Spectrum of Bond Funds
- The Basics of Bond Index Funds
- Three Drawbacks of Bond Index Funds
- Why Invest in the Lowest Fee Funds?
- Should You Buy the Best Performing Funds?
- Should You Reinvest the Income from Your Bond Funds?
- Choosing Among Short-, Intermediate-, and Long-Term Bond Funds
- Understanding Active vs. Passive Management
- How to Choose an Actively Managed Bond Fund
- "High Quality" Bond Funds Aren't Necessarily "Safe"
- What Yield Number Should You Use?
- Bond Funds vs. Bond ETFs: Costs and Returns
- Are Closed-End Bond Funds Right for You?
Bond Mutual Funds: What you Need to Know
Even for investors who thoroughly understand the basics of bond funds, there are other important issues to consider.
- How to Choose a Bond Mutual Fund
- When to Sell a Bond Fund
- Bond Funds Ranked 4- and 5-Stars by Morningstar
- The Pros and Cons of No-Load Bond Funds
- What is a Core Bond Fund?
- Should You Own and Ultrashort Bond Fund?
- The Pros and Cons of Short-Term Bond Funds
- Short Term Bonds Funds vs. Money Market Funds
- The Risks and Benefits of Long-Term Bond Funds
- How are Bond Funds Taxed?
- How do Currencies Affect International Bond Funds?
- The Impact of Duration on Bond Funds
- When NOT to Buy a Bond Mutual Fund
- Should You Buy Morningstar's 5-Star Funds?
Exchange-traded funds are an increasingly popular option since they are a low-fee option that can provide exposure to virtually any area of the bond market. Learn more about bond ETFs.
- Basics of Bond ETFs
- The Complete, Updated List of Bond ETFs
- The Lowest Fee Bond ETFs
- Why Bond ETF Share Prices Can Differ from Their Net Asset Values (NAVs)
- The Complete List of Short-Term Bond ETFs
- Overview of Municipal Bond ETFs
- The Complete List of International Bond ETFs